Why is event sustainability important? Because our future depends on it.
If you are unsure how to measure sustainability, sustainability in events (and everywhere!) is measured by assessing the performance of Social, Environmental, and Economic principles of the event itself. As well as its legacy and influence beyond the event's duration.
As an event organiser, your mission is to create memorable experiences for your attendees, whilst reducing the negative effects that your event has on the environment. Whether you host a conference, a sporting event, a festival, or any other type of live event, you have to consider how your event impacts natural resources, carbon footprint, waste generation, and social responsibility.
Tracking key performance indicators is an important place to start.
Are you paying attention to how you can measure your sustainability KPIs?
Reporting and measuring environmental impact of your events can help you identify areas for improvement, communicate your sustainability efforts, and enhance your reputation.
But how do you start to measure the impact of your event?
- Carbon footprint: Measure the greenhouse gas emissions associated with the event, including energy consumption, transportation, and waste management.
- Energy and resource consumption: Evaluate the event's energy use, water consumption, and other resource demands.
- Waste management: Assess the waste generated during the event and evaluate recycling, composting, and waste reduction practices.
- Sustainable sourcing: Evaluate the event's procurement practices, such as using local, organic, or fair trade products and reducing single-use items. Unlike other reusable or disposable cups solutions, STACK-CUP™ products will never end up in landfill!
- Community engagement: Assess the event's interaction with the local community and the extent of community involvement and benefit.
- Diversity and inclusion: Evaluate efforts to promote diversity, inclusivity, and accessibility in event planning, programming, and participation.
- Legacy projects: Measure the event's contribution to long-term community development, infrastructure improvements, or social initiatives.
- Volunteer engagement: Assess the involvement of volunteers and their impact on local communities.
- Local economic benefit: Evaluate the event's contribution to the local economy, including revenue generated, job creation, and tourism impact.
- Small business support: Assess the event's efforts to support local small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Economic leakage: Analyze the extent to which event spending remains within the local economy.
Attendee Experience and Perception:
- Surveys and feedback: Collect feedback from event participants to assess their experience, satisfaction, and perception of the event's sustainability efforts.
- Behavior change: Evaluate the extent to which the event influences attendees' knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors related to sustainability.
Communication and Reporting:
- Sustainability reporting: Develop a comprehensive sustainability report outlining the event's goals, actions taken, and measurable impacts.
- Case studies and best practices: Share success stories, lessons learned, and best practices to inspire and guide future events.
Collaboration and Partnerships:
- Engage with stakeholders: Collaborate with partners, suppliers, sponsors, and local organizations to align sustainability goals and maximize impact.
- Certification and standards: Seek certifications such as ISO 20121 (Event Sustainability Management System) or pursue alignment with industry-specific sustainability standards.
We know, the list of potential measurable KPIs is extensive and can be a little overwhelming…. And defining exactly what is important to track can be a complex task. Everything from Environmental, Social and Economic Impact to Attendee Experience, Communication and Reporting and Collaboration and Partnerships must be considered.
We are experts in launching and running reusable cup programmes for stadiums, festivals, and major events. Our sustainable event products, STACK-CUP™, removes the need for cup carriers and trays, decreasing queue times and increasing bar spend. We make reusable cup programmes simple for our clients and their customers. Want to know more? Get in touch with us today: email@example.com